[OpenID] Durability of authorized sessions

Allen Tom openid at allentom.com
Wed Nov 28 19:45:52 UTC 2007

Hi Tony,

I was referring to the session that the user has with their OP.
Hypothetically, consumer oriented OPs may issue long lived sessions that
persist across browser restarts and IP address changes. Users of these
OPs may login to OpenID RPs without having to reauthenticate with their
OP. In scenarios like this, the OP may very well be aware that its
OpenIDs are not sufficient to authorize high value transactions, in
particular, the user may have been using a shared computer and forgot to
logout, or the users credentials may have been stolen via an XSS or MITM
attack.

These security shortcomings can be addressed by using short lived
sessions that do not persist across browser restarts, and also by tying
the credentials to a particular IP address, however there's a usability
cost in that users will need to frequently enter their password.

Again, it would be very nice to have a standard mechanism for an OP to
indicate that its OpenIDs are not suitable for high value transactions.
If there is not a mechanism to do this, then OPs may need to blacklist
these RPs on a case by case basis, which is certainly not a scalable or
desirable solution. Alternatively, OPs may need to have a whilelist of
acceptable RPs which is also contrary to the spirit of OpenID.

Allen