[OpenID] OpenID Logo Usage Guidelines

Sam Alexander sam.alexander at vidoop.com
Fri Nov 16 20:36:47 UTC 2007

What is the consensus on making changes to the OpenID Logo for a
specific use?

The grey/orange logo doesn't work well with all palettes when making
diagrams, designs, etc.  It seems that right now people are taking
liberties with certain aspects of the logo and leaving others alone.
For instance, JanRain used the logo to bring sexyback @ https://
pibb.com/signin.  I've seen other changes of color in the wild (not
really any changes of structure, though).  As a designer, that kind
of flexibility is extremely helpful.

This has been brought up before, the latest seeming to be Chris
Messina's post in January ( http://openid.net/pipermail/general/2007-
January/001421.html ).  Chris has also done some write-ups on concept
of Community marks vs traditional Trademarks ( http://factoryjoe.com/
blog/2006/01/14/the-case-for-community-marks/ ).

My question is this: Do we want more lenient usage and visual guide
lines to aid developers or would we rather have stricter use rules
for total consistency?

The best two examples I could (quickly) find for this debate are both
from Mozilla.

For the Feed Icon:
( http://www.mozilla.org/foundation/feed-icon-guidelines/ )

  - Relaxed rules (alot of "SHOULD" and "MAY")
  - Enforcement left up to the community
  - Allows designers to use discretion (even poor discretion, ie we
may end up with alot of
    'ugly' blinking marque logo's out there)

For the Firefox Icon:
( http://www.mozilla.org/foundation/identity-guidelines/firefox.html )

  - Rules are much stricter (mostly MUST's)
  - Correct font, dimension and color treatments are required
  - Trademark must be included
  - Insures consistent look and feel for "Firefox" wherever it is
seen (fewer 'ugly' cases)

Which would the community prefer?

- Sam