[OpenID] URL normalization issues

Johannes Ernst jernst+openid.net at netmesh.us
Sat Mar 24 04:18:11 UTC 2007

On Mar 23, 2007, at 19:22, Gabe Wachob wrote:

> There's lots of forgotten history here.

Here is another example ;-)

> What people forget is that XRD (and XRDS) document is and always
> has been
> defined in the XRI Resolution specification. YADIS was actually
> something
> completely different before the IIW meeting in October 2005 where
> we (the
> XRI folks) had a discussion with the LID and OpenID folks about
> using the
> XRDS document as the result of discovery on identifiers - until
> that point,
> there was *no* discovery in LID or OpenID, afaik.

There wasn't in OpenID, but there certainly was in LID. Turns out
that Yadis 1.0 is more powerful (also more complex) than the slightly
modified version of the LID discovery scheme that we (Brad, David,
Joaquin, myself) took into IIW as the original Yadis discovery draft,
which is why we are obsoleting the LID one.

> That XRD document can contain *any* metadata, but "service blocks"
> are what
> we (the XRI tc) defined and they are what OpenID uses.
>
> XRD documents can contain arbitrary XML - there was a lot of
> thought that
> was put into the extensibility model, including trying to anticipate
> versioning, extensions to existing elements, etc.
>
> So while the discussion here are about OpenID authentication (and
> related
> services), the discovery mechanisms in XRI Resolution (including
> the thing
> formerly known as YADIS Discovery) could be used to discover *any*
> associated service metadata or any other metadata you wish to publish.

Yes.