[OpenID] URL normalization issues

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Sat Mar 24 01:45:29 UTC 2007

Josh Hoyt wrote:

>> Note that LiveJournal doesn't support XRDS discovery because it's still
>> a pure 1.1 implementation.
>
> Understood, but that doesn't make the inconsistency any less gross.
> Also, I think it's odd that LJ serves XRDS files, but doesn't process
> them when signing in.

That sort of inconsistency is something we're going to have to accept
and prepare for as we start to migrate to OpenID 2.

While the specs generally require everyone who supports 1.1 to also
support 2, I think in practice we're going to find that some 1.1 RPs
will fail to talk to some 2.0 OPs and vice-versa. It was my
understanding that the switch to a new logo for 2.0 was intended to go
some way to solve this problem.