[OpenID] URL normalization issues

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Fri Mar 23 20:20:22 UTC 2007

Josh Hoyt wrote:

> I have yet to come up with a solution to this particular problem that
> I consider satisfactory.

Surely you can only use one of them? I already have a few dozen OpenID
identifiers, but I don't find myself accidentally entering in the wrong one.

While I agree it's easy for a user to accidentally leave out a trailing
slash, it's much less likely that they'll accidentally type /xrds on the
end of the URL.

> Yuck. I just tried it on Jyte, LiveJournal, and ClaimID, and they all
> do different things with the /xrds version, so it'd be *really* nice
> if we could come up with at least a decent way of avoiding this
> problem.

Note that LiveJournal doesn't support XRDS discovery because it's still
a pure 1.1 implementation.