[OpenID] Teenagers do not need OpenID

Scott Kveton scott at janrain.com
Sat Jan 27 01:21:19 UTC 2007

> 1) Just because we can do something doesn't mean we should.

Agreed.  However, if users are already doing it, shouldn't we make it
easier?  Especially if they are going to do it no matter what?  Wouldn't it
be prudent to develop technologies that allow them to better control their
digital identities?

> 2) Just because bad behavior can be done manually doesn't mean we should
> automate it

Who is deciding what is "bad" here?

> #1 "Technical identity systems must only reveal information identifying a
> user with the user¹s consent."

The suggestions that Chris follow this; if you don't want to do this, don't
use it or disable it.

> #3 "Digital identity systems must be designed so the disclosure of
> identifying information is limited to parties having a necessary and
> justifiable place in a given identity relationship."
>
> A service I may never have heard of has no justifiable reason to acquire my
> identity data.

If you don't want your identity data public or consumed in this manner, then
don't use the service.

> It is a thin line between being able to port "my favorite music" and "my
> favorite people" from one service to another. But the line does exist and
> it's a line I think shouldn't be crossed.

Again, I think we're going to have to agree to disagree here.

How many sites do I go to where I would love to able to apply some access
control to content or media?  If I could quickly and easily pull along my
social networks with me, this would be trivial.  However, that's just me.

- Scott