[OpenID] Teenagers do not need OpenID

Dave Kearns dkearns at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 00:37:41 UTC 2007

From: Scott Kveton

> +1 ... Its fascinating that someone in the identity community can be so
> missing the reality of the situation.  Millions upon millions of users on
> MySpace, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc share their data in little closed silos
> already.  Why not help these users do it in a fashion that gives them more
> control and leverages web "standards"?

You're missing the point I'm making Scott. Yes, I have an account with
LinkedIn and you can list all of my contacts - all of whom are also members
of LI as has to be the prerson doing the looking. But if I now open an
account with Orkut are you really thinking that it's right that I bring over
all of my contacts and their data to the new site? How is that privacy
enabling? How is that user friendly? How is that in keeping with the 7
Laws??

-dave