[OpenID] OpenID and phishing (wasAnnouncingOpenIDAuthentication 2.0 - Implementor's Draft 11)

Mike Beltzner beltzner at mozilla.com
Sat Jan 20 14:54:24 UTC 2007

+1

I think that it may be beneficial to strengthen OpenID's requirements for securing the user-OP channel for phishing, or as others have suggested, linking to another document with best practises, etc. Perhaps even for the RP-OP redirect.

As said before, though, that would be *part* of a suite of browser-based phishing protection technologies. I think that phishing protection will become, like XSS and buffer-overrun, just code/spec security "must-prevent" cross-cutting features. Where I get worried (and thankfully, I've not seen it proposed!) is when people start to conflate the goals of OpenID with those of phishing protection such that "OpenID solves phishing."

cheers,
mike, the worry-wart