[OpenID] The delegation story in OpenID 2.0

Simon Willison simon at simonwillison.net
Fri Jan 19 10:46:56 UTC 2007

On 18 Jan 2007, at 23:07, Johnny Bufu wrote:

> You can use both the v1 and v2 tags to point your URL Identifier to
> the same server (if it implements both v1 and v2 protocols). This is
> the example in the spec:
>
>> <link rel="openid2.provider openid.server"
>>       href="http://www.livejournal.com/openid/server.bml"/>
>> <link rel="openid2.local_id openid.delegate"
>>       href="http://exampleuser.livejournal.com/"/>

This looks risky to me. The backwards compatibility with v1 relies on
existing implementations parsing the link rel attribute correctly -
actually treating it as a list of space separated identifiers as
opposed to just looking for something that matches
'rel="openid.server"'. Does anyone know if there are existing
consumer libraries which are likely to choke on this new format?

Cheers,

Simon