[OpenID] Exchange could be a strategic error -- if done now rather than later...

Bob Wyman bob at wyman.us
Mon Jan 15 23:17:15 UTC 2007

On 1/15/07, Dick Hardt <dick at sxip.com> wrote:> From threads on the ID Gang
list, it would seem you are
> supportive of the URL based attribute schema approach.
Errrrr... We're not supposed to mention discussions on the ID Gang List
off-list... :-) But, in any case, *yes* I am very supportive of the general
concept of URL based attributes and fine-grained attribute exchange between
applications based on mechanisms which allow the expression of semantic and
syntactical relationships between attributes.

I am, however, somewhat concerned that something which should be a general
technique is being defined as an "identity-specific" method. I would be much
happier if the business of establishing relationships between attributes was
defined in an application agnostic, general fashion and then referenced by
identity-specific specifications. The "web of attributes" or "web of
schemas" is something which has great utility far-beyond the realm of
identity. As such, I think it would be good to relieve the identity space
from the full burden of supporting it's definition and development. If the
idea is more generally expressed, those working in other spaces, and not
caring as much about identity as we might, will be able to get involved,
work through issues, contribute, and debate in non-identity forums. My
feeling is that the identity space needs focus and should avoid taking on
general issues unless there is absolutely no other alternative. If at all
possible, other forums should be encouraged to carry some of the burden of
working through the non-identity-specific issues which facilitate identity
related applications but are not exclusively identity technology.

bob wyman