[OpenID] Dumb Question: Why isn't http://xri.net/=bobwyman an OpenID?

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Fri Jan 5 08:25:55 UTC 2007

Dag Arneson wrote:

> It appears that xri.net does support the Accept:application/xrds+xml
> header method of obtaining the xrds, but without the openid:delegate the
> 2idi openid server gets confused:

This is exactly the sort of problem I was hoping to fix with my earlier
proposal to make the "delegate" value mandatory.

Since any document can link to a particular XRDS document, the publisher
of the XRDS document should be explicit about what identifier it wishes
to use just as it is explicit about what OP endpoint it wishes to use.
The two values are, in most cases, bound together inextricably; it
doesn't make much sense to specify one without the other.