[OpenID] XRD/YADIS validator?

Sam Ruby rubys at intertwingly.net
Wed Jan 3 22:09:19 UTC 2007

Would people on this list see value in a XRD/YADIS validator?

If syndication is any guide, once the "unwashed masses" start adopting
this, I see plenty of opportunities for errors: non-memorable namespace
names, MiXeDcAsE Element names, etc.

If there is value, what I would find helpful is suggestions in the form
of test cases: documents which either are asserted to be valid, or
documents which contain specified conditions that should produce a
specific error or a warning.

An example of a warnings could be "unknown Type":  in theory, any URI is
valid, but unknown Types may indicate a typo.

Checks can also be made for the presence of elements such as
openid:Delegate when Type is other than http://openid.net/signon/1.0.

Given such tests, I can quickly build this logic on top of the
foundation that is the Feed Validator: it already has logic for what
constitutes a valid URI (or IRI, for that matter).

- Sam Ruby