[OpenID] New XRI/i-names wiki (was RE: why is xri so obtuse?)

Drummond Reed drummond.reed at cordance.net
Tue Jan 2 02:13:41 UTC 2007

Martin, I can't believe it! I feel like the Michigan team that got pasted by
USC in the Rose Bowl today: you're one step ahead of every message I'm
writing today!!

So here it is: on behalf of all of us working on XRI specifications,
registries, resolver code, server cord, and other XRI infrastructure...

********   W E    H  E  A  R     Y  O  U  !!!!!!!!!!!!!   ********

Phil Windley, Doc Searls, and a number of other folks told us the same thing
at the Internet Identity Workshop Dec. 4-6. So the XRI community discussed
it and quickly came to the conclusion we should do exactly what the OpenID
community is doing: create a single consolidated wiki devoted to everything
developers need to know to understand and use XRI i-name/i-number
infrastructure.

Les Chasen of NeuStar (http://xri.net/=les.chasen/(+contact) ) undertook to
set this up over the holidays (thank you Les!), and thanks to help he got
from the good folks at JanRain (see below), it's fully i-names and
OpenID-enabled. The address is:

	http://dev.inames.net

(Note that dev.inames.net formerly pointed at a site that Eugene Kim helped
create on XRI and i-names for developers, but it wasn't an
i-name/OpenID-enabled wiki. This new one is a full i-name/OpenID-Mediawiki
hosted by NeuStar on behalf of XDI.org, so it should be rock-solid, and over
the next week we'll be migrating any content we need from the old wiki to
the new one.)

The big caveat: it's brand new, so only a handful of the pages proposed on
the current front page exist so far. One of the most useful might be the
page Les created on the process he went through to bring up a fully
i-name/OpenID-enabled wiki with help from the JanRain team:

http://dev.inames.net/wiki/index.php/How_to_Setup_an_I-Name-Enabled_Mediawik

What I promise to do over the coming week is cajol the XRI/i-names community
to start adding content to the wiki as fast as we possibly can to address
all the great questions you have posed. I certainly invite all members of
the OpenID community to do the same, even if it's just to post the FAQ
questions you most want to see answered or code/documentation you want to
see written.

Thanks and Happy New Year,

=Drummond