No subject

Thu Jan 11 23:01:28 UTC 2007

HTTP request [1].  Other identifier schemes could be resolved in a similar
manner if someone deployed such resolution infrastructure
(http://ssn.net/<socialsecuritynumber> - Lets hope not!). In any case, you
get back a descriptor document.

To the extent that it's more complicated, it is something that's either an
implementation problem on the xri.net proxy side [2], or something the
inames community should address to make it easy for OpenID developers.

Using HTTP as a resolution protocol and getting back an XML document with
some basic semantics about a service endpoint is what's new (this is what
XRI early on - YADIS is expansion of that concept with HTTP URLs) - I think
that's mostly the extent to which an OpenID RP developer should be saddled
w/r/t new identifiers.

For what its worth, we (the XRI & inames communities) are trying to bridge
this understanding/complexity "gap" - I've begun (was derailed for a while
by wiki hiccups) a busy developer's guide:
http://dev.inames.net/wiki/XRI_Busy_Web_Developer%27s_Guide

	-Gabe

[1] The one wrinkle is the concept of canonical IDs - but as Steve Churchill
said, the mechanics of discovering and confirming these IDs is something the
proxy resolver (xri.net) should be doing.

[2] BTW, xri.net is based entirely on the OpenXRI codebase - you can run
your own proxy - nothing special about the xri.net instance except that its
well known and run as a bootstrapping mechanism by the same folks who run
the root registry.