[OpenID] OpenID PHP5 Zend Framework Library

Pádraic Brady padraic.brady at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 26 12:28:24 UTC 2007

Hi all,

More of a quickie FYI, rather than a detailed rambling explanation.

The Zend Framework is a PHP5 application framework sponsored by Zend (that PHP company). As they are nearing a beta release for March, I have started formal proposal to implement native OpenID support within the framework. The initial proposal to kickstart the process is a new Zend_Service_Yadis component.

You can read the official proposal over at:
http://framework.zend.com/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=20369, and a subversion repository holding the work in progress is located at http://svn.astrumfutura.org/zendframework. The repository is not an official ZF location - it's just a temporary svn until the proposal is reviewed and (hopefully) approved.

Part of the reasoning for the ZF specific library is pure and simple re-use. The ZF has tons of code both existing and planned which make adding OpenID support a relatively simple exercise. Also the ZF is PHP5 specific, meaning many of the current PHP-OpenID libraries classes would need to be added to and expanded regardless (e.g. Sockets based HTTP client, PDO, SimpleXML parser).

I figured it was worth letting those on the list be aware of its existence, and its basic premise. If you have any questions, suggestions or other forms of support for OpenID inside the Zend Framework, please by all means let me know. I've been using the current PHP library for months now and I'd like to thank everyone involved in that effort since I've been using it for months. I'd just like to note this separate PHP project is primarily for Zend Framework integration and is not the result of any disagreement or criticism of that library - it's purely an exercise to bring OpenID into a pure PHP5 flavour in agreement with the Framework's stated goals.

Damn, I ended up rambling anyway...:).

Best regards,
Pádraic

Pádraic Brady