[OpenID] Microsoft and OpenID Q&A

Eric Norman ejnorman at doit.wisc.edu
Thu Feb 22 23:08:57 UTC 2007

On Feb 21, 2007, at 8:03 PM, Eric Norman wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2007, at 6:23 PM, Johannes Ernst wrote:
>
>> Since Bill Gates endorsed OpenID on stage recently, lots of people
>> have been asking questions (followed by stating opinions...) about
>> what the relationship between Microsoft and the OpenID community is,
>> should or should not be.
>>
>> I'd like to collect your questions, and make sure they get discussed,
>> hopefully answered and documented somewhere. Please respond either on
>> the list or personally. (Some people might not be comfortable asking
>> publicly -- yep, it does happen, in particular on that kind of
>> subject. Anonymous questions are fine ;-))
>>
>> Here are some questions that I have collected so far.
>>
>> 1. Has Microsoft made any commitment to implement OpenID in any
>> product? If so, which?
>>
>> 2. Has the OpenID Community committed to support any WS-* protocols?
>> If so, which and how?
>>
>> 3. Hang on, how can the OpenID Community commit to anything (WS-* or
>> anything else), given that it is self-organizing and not "managed" by
>> anybody?
>>
>> 4. What would be the advantages / disadvantages of using Microsoft's
>> CardSpace with OpenID?
>
> 4a.  (More detailed)  What are the strengths of one that are weaknesses
> of the other?
>
> 5.  What changes (installation, behavior, other software) will need to
> happen?
>
> 6.  Will a large population "all have to jump at once" to effect
> deployment?
>
> 7.  Which parts (code, protocols, etc) of each will be discarded (no
> longer useful)?

8.  Will the user need to be aware of whether "OpenID stuff" or
"CardSpace" stuff is operating?

9.  Is the intent to augment each with an alternative (albeit
useful) trust fabric.  Or is it to unify the trust fabrics in
the sense of "one size fits all"?

10.  Which user communities would be most likely to adopt and
embrace which identity system?  Among the communities would be
social networks, commerce, education, health care, government,

Eric Norman