[OpenID] Looking for OpenID panel member

Eric Norman ejnorman at doit.wisc.edu
Tue Feb 13 20:45:14 UTC 2007

Gentlefolk,

I'm going to be moderating a panel discussion at an annual
PKI workshop that happens at NIST in Gaithersburg, MD (it's
a real nice place) in April.  The information is at

    http://middleware.internet2.edu/pki07/

This is a panel that will discuss the notion of convergence
toward an identity layer on the Internet.  I.e. what needs
to be done; how should folks adjust their "energy direction"
so that everyone is heading more in that direction; stuff
like that.  I know it's vague.

This is a PKI conference.  You should probably read "PKI"
as meaning mostly the X.509 infrastructure.  However, I
certainly don't intend that the panel limit itself to
public key stuff.  Public key cryptography is certainly
one of the useful tools that can be used to achieve the
identity layer goal, but I do want the panel to discuss
the bigger game.

I want the panel to consist of representatives from sundry
communities that are all working toward this goal.  I see
these communities as: CardSpace, URL based identities like
OpenID, Shibboleth/SAML/Liberty Alliance, and just regular
old X.509 (client) certificates.

I will share one of my unspoken goals, an ulterior motive
if you want to call it that.  I do perceive that the "PKI
community" is a bit too closed and I would like to increase
their awareness about what else is happening in the identity
space.

So I'm asking for a volunteer from this group that would
like to represent the OpenID community on such a panel.
Names that immediately come to mind are Johannes Ernst.
David Recordon, Dick Hardt, and Scott Kveton.  If there's
anyone else that's already planning to attend, I reckon
that would be OK too.

If I can get someone, I will be so pleased that I'll buy
them a beer in Gaithersburg.

Eric Norman