[OpenID] is openid 2.0 a lightweight identity system?

Robert Yates robyates70 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 14:00:50 UTC 2007

On 2/9/07, Recordon, David <drecordon at verisign.com> wrote:

> As you can see in the wild by OpenID 1.1 implementations taking advantage of
> Yadis (XRDS) based discovery.

Just to be clear, I do believe that the introduction of Yadis adds
real value.  My real concern is mandatory support for i-names in the
core, this adds a LOT of complexity.  Could i-names support, instead,
be done as an extension and the core modified so that alternative
valid openid URI schemes can be defined later?

I don't think a modification to the core spec. allowing for future
alternative URI scheme definition would be that hard to do. Extensions
defining alternative URI schemes simply need to define discovery rules
and possibly some different verification steps. It could add real
flexibility to the spec as it seems fairly limiting, in my mind, to
restrict openid URI schemes to only http/https or xri.

Rob