[OpenID] Proposal: SMTP service extension for Yadis discovery

Johannes Ernst jernst+openid.net at netmesh.us
Mon Feb 5 17:06:28 UTC 2007

On Feb 5, 2007, at 8:46, David Fuelling wrote:
>> From: Dmitry Shechtman [mailto:damnian at gmail.com]
>
> Is this accurate?  Yadis is relatively new to me, so I could be
> completely
> wrong here, but it seems like all of the services that OpenId
> advertises via
> Yadis *are* host-global.  For example, it doesn't look like most
> OP's allow
> divergent OpenId services on a per-user basis (e.g., Jane can only use
> OpenId 1.0, but Bob can use 1.0 & 2.0).
>
> Instead, it seems like the Yadis service document that advertises
> OP openid
> services *is* host-global (although this may be unintentional in many
> cases).
>
> Am I wrong here?

Yes, you are wrong here ;-)

Yadis is URL-local, i.e. you can have a different XRDS file for each
single URL in the universe, or on a host.

Among other things, that allows Jane and Bob on the same machine to
have different XRDS content, including Bob having none if he so
desires. That kind of ability is very important for any "user-
centric" approach: at least in principle, control must be on the
level of the user, not the server operator.

Johannes Ernst
NetMesh Inc.