[OpenID] Proposal: SMTP service extension for Yadis discovery

Dmitry Shechtman damnian at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 13:21:43 UTC 2007

David, although this may be an interesting idea, Yadis (unlike SMTP) isn't
meant for host-global communications. A Yadis document normally corresponds
to a single user record.

Furthermore, a user identifier isn't necessarily a URL. It may very well be
an XRI. So if your iname expires, you could theoretically tie your email
address to your inumber.

> A.) I guess I'm not clear why we would involve SMTP in this at all.

In case you didn't read my reply to Martin, there is quite a large niche of
users who don't feel comfortable with OpenID because it requires them to use
a URL for an identifier. An email address is a much more familiar concept.

Regards,
Dmitry
=damnian