[OpenID] OpenID Chance II

Mike Johnson johnsonmx at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 20:35:06 UTC 2007

Bob- that's a very interesting story about the 'fact checking industry'..

Troy- likewise to you. :)

Bob again-

I think our interest is more strongly in the realm of signed assertions
regarding identity, credentials, and affiliations, instead of content. It
sounds interesting, but (outside of idealized situations that have little to
do with problems websites are trying to solve) the logistics of
transparently implementing such a system (let alone on a wiki) are
fearsome-- facts about content are messy, messy, messy. I'm not saying it's
not possible (and don't want to be a naysayer), but (similar to Johannes '
comment) I'd expect this to be an order of magnitude harder to implement
with OpenID than the problem of connecting real-world identities with online
personas.

Having said that, there might be some overlap with the tagging craze that's
currently sweeping the internet-- I suppose you could combine OpenID-signed
tags with a reputation system to get a better organizational
signal-to-noise.

I'll try to draft more thoughts on OpenID and Citizendium today or tomorrow.

Best,
Mike