[OpenID] schism over cardspace

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Fri Aug 31 01:18:48 UTC 2007

So did we see our first schism in OpenID standards making? Any standard
worth having has had at least 3, of course.

If we look at S/MIME secure email, there was (a) rejection that all
certs that be issued by RSA (b) rejection of non-MIME SMTP encoding (c)
rejection of Ned Freed's particular Mime encoding in favor of Spock's
PKCS7. Given the success with S/WAN, making naming PKCS7 in a mime
wrapper as "S/MIME" seem like a reasonable bet!

Out of interest, how did XRDS come into OpeniD. Culturally, it seems so
OUT OF PLACE. It's a heavy weight cousin of SAML -- in a culture that
obviously has a thing against SAML.

Can someone relate why this community is so anti-SAML? I know I only met
it _practically_ a year ago, based on downloading the sourceid.org open
source material. On any plain reading, that SAML1.1 code is easier to
understand and deploy than OpenID.

So what's the "real beef" at issue, here?