[OpenID] cryptographics web of trust

Story Henry henry.story at bblfish.net
Wed Aug 29 11:18:21 UTC 2007

On 28 Aug 2007, at 22:22, Peter Williams wrote:

> Don’t laugh.  I’m naturally slow. I half got my blog site to work,
> and got a first RDF FOAF file. I may even have a persistent URI.
>
> http://yorkporc.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!5061D4609325B60!148.entry

Nice! There's nothing like doing to understand!
I would not say your slow at all :-) Trying really is most of what
there is to it. Like doing web pages really. It's really no use
reading all the html books or specs. Unless you have written your web
page, you are nowhere.

A few points to help you along:
   -  your foaf file is really at a horrible url:
http://gkt09w.bay.livefilestore.com/
y1pmOlfDenEo3DFPaTyVPMHffJ_xgq_aF9xOxx5VBU8yARDbhL0lusFImbriUIc35pM7UoMd
WwnDcCKdhiP9qOIA/foaf.rdf?download
    That does not give one confidence that it is going to last.

   - your foaf file is not served with the right mime type. I
describe how to get Apache to serve things up
correctly
    http://blogs.sun.com/bblfish/entry/i_have_a_foaf_file
    Not sure how to do it with IIS. But if you work it out, and blog
about it, that would be helpful to many others I am sure.

   - http://www.perceive.net/schemas/relationship/acquaintanceOf
     You use that relation instead of foaf:knows. I don't like that
relation because the definition is not
at the URL as with the foaf vocabulary. Try to GET http://xmlns.com/
foaf/0.1/knows and you will see it redirect you to the right file.
That is helpful. URL's that don't dereference are lame.
     WAIT!
    I see. That is a cool service at mfd-consult.dk you pointed to
below. It pointed out that you are using an old version of the
acquaintance relationship. The new ones are here:
     http://vocab.org/relationship/
    Nice. Thanks for pointing that out.

  - You put a lot of information about me. That is probably somewhat
more duplication than needed. You may just want to put my name, my
URL, and a few things of interest to you, perhaps my weblog.
Duplication is good, it helps people verify what you think you are
pointing to, but the more you duplicate, the more you have to keep up.

> I can lessen the amount of email text, now, I hope.
>
> As a practical matter, I’ve been just been thwarted from adding
> meta tags or YADIS signals to any page on that site. I must
> generate a third-party-generated HTML page derived from the RDF
> file that I can control, therefore.

Ah. Generating XHTML from RDF is something that still needs a general
solution.
But here is one that people have used:
    http://www.w3.org/2005/04/fresnel-info/

Here is an interesting solution:
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2007Jul/0018.html

> I finally have my fingerprint sensor in my laptop doing auto-form-
> fill of the openid field offered by my openid-enabled site.

Man you are better equipped than I am here. A fingerprint sensor?
Cool. Where can I get one? (I am on Apple btw)

> It auto-clicks submit, having input:
>
> http://xml.mfd-consult.dk/foaf/explorer/?foaf=http%3A%2F%
> 2Fgkt09w.bay.livefilestore.com%2Fy1pmOlfD-enEo26EI4-
> P0AlmvrwZ35DcbHdRClT65yCDCTNjeyIZ5IqfKYxeBDl-
> QJC0Ente_veX59PevtTp9h0Tw%2Ffoaf.rdf

As I mention above: this is a nice site.

> The openid.server meta tag is missing as is the YADIS protocol hook
> - still

from which page? I am getting a little lost right here.

> I guess I need to add additional XSL/XPath markup to the HTML page
> generator. Presumably, the RDF needs to help out deference the
> openID service URL using the model suggested in your SunFileForFoaf
> blog entry.

You mean:
http://blogs.sun.com/bblfish/entry/a_foaf_file_for_sun ?

I think you mean this one:
http://blogs.sun.com/bblfish/entry/foaf_openid

There I have the openid point to the foaf, and the foaf just contains
info with the person's openid.
The client can then GET the foaf, and identify the indifividual, by
search for the foaf:Person with the specified openid.

> Hence, I need the RDF to also specify a query used to infer the
> server location – that xpath and XSL can locate in the generated
> XML/RDF … to be presented as HTML markup

I don't think you need the RDF to specify a query. You need your
client to query the RDF, as shown in the blog.

But I may be misunderstanding.

Henry