[OpenID] ANN: OpenID Information Cards spec and workingimplementation

Johnny Bufu johnny at sxip.com
Wed Aug 29 00:05:09 UTC 2007

On 28-Aug-07, at 4:46 PM, Gerald Beuchelt wrote:

> Johnny Bufu wrote:
>>
>>> The other problem that I still seem to have with this spec is
>>> that I do not exactly see what benefits over SAML it really has.
>>
>> What are the benefits of SAML tokens over OpenID tokens? :-)
>>

> Hmm, let me think:
>
>    * Open STANDARD
>    * Clear IPR regime
>    * Established technology
>    * Large scale deployment experience
>    * More features
>
> Need more ...?

Okay, so your question was not actually specific to the OpenID tokens
we're proposing, but rather a general "why is a OpenID better than
SAML"?

Not wanting to start a dispute, I'll only answer the above by saying
that the same reasons apply that make a fair number of people
consider OpenID, even though you consider the features you're listing
as advantageous to SAML.

Johnny