[OpenID] ANN: OpenID Information Cards spec and workingimplementation

Dick Hardt dick at sxip.com
Wed Aug 22 18:31:34 UTC 2007

On 21-Aug-07, at 9:53 PM, Peter Williams wrote:

> Is this patented ?
>
> Is this a levearging microsoft IP? They have a lot of patents (used
> mostly defensivelý, to be fair)

Most of the large vendors in the Identity space have patents related
to identity technology, so I am sure there are a number of patents
that cover aspects of this specification.

If your question is will someone have to pay a fee to implement and
deploy this specification, then I don't see why this spec is any
different from any of the other OpenID specifications in that the
participants so far have all indicated they do not intend to do that.

There is a group that is working on an IPR policy for OpenID, and
this specification would fall under that IPR. Microsoft has been an
active participant in the OpenID IPR process, so if the concern is if
Microsoft will require fees to use any patents they own, then I would
guess the answer is "no".

-- Dick