[OpenID] Fwd: Excellent critique of OpenID usability

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Mon Aug 20 07:03:48 UTC 2007

Joseph Holsten wrote:

> Where do I get an OpenID?
> - A concise list of reputable OpenID Providers, with some explanation
> of their niche. Can we possibly keep this limited to ~7, with a link
> to a complete (user-submitted?, moderated?)  list like we currently
> have?
>   esp: AOL, Livejournal, TypePad, MyOpenid, ClaimID

It may be wise to highlight some of these differently where an OpenID
identifier isn't the only service offered. "Do you already have an AIM
Screen Name? You already have an OpenID!". Same for LiveJournal.

MyOpenID, on the other hand, is quite clearly only an OpenID provider,
so makes a good one to recommend for people who can't or don't wish to
make use of an existing account.