[OpenID] Fwd: Excellent critique of OpenID usability

Ben Bangert ben at groovie.org
Sat Aug 18 23:48:05 UTC 2007

On Aug 17, 2007, at 2:16 PM, Gabe Wachob wrote:

> I see these complaints about OpenID.net not being understandable to
> end users and I totally agree with that assessment. But that was
> never the goal, and I think simply slapping up a list of openid
> providers would be inadequate.

While the thought of telling people to do a Google search for "openid
providers" (as Tom's draft document mentions) sounds somewhat good, I
think it'd be a pretty horrid user experience compared to just having
a list of "the big" providers. Consider the vast amount of non-openid
provider links that could appear at the top depending on what article/
blog posting/feed/site has the best google rank for the week. It
could take them awhile to find an actual openid provider to use.

Right now when I do a google search, about 1/2th the links are openid
provider related (development, news, feeds), while the other half
appear to be actual openid providers. I would not want to put the
burden of sorting that out to an end-user like my parents.

> OpenID is a protocol, not an service offering or even a technology
> that a user can use directly. Hence, I don’t see why (as OpenID,
> the protocol) should be marketed or even explained to end-users,
> IMHO. W3C doesn’t market HTTP to end users, it markets the web (to
> the extent it markets to end users at all). This is like promoting
> the web by putting up links to web servers and web hosting companies.

This analogy is rather flawed. OpenID is not *just* a protocol, its
an entire brand for a different way of sign-in. I can tell you to go
to a website without saying "HTTP" (mainly cause users rarely have to
type it), but you cannot ask me to login using OpenID, without saying
"OpenID". Unless the marketing list is considering changing the name
so that you can say, "Signin with your howzadunit" of course.
Regardless, they will *have* to call it something, and whatever that
something is, should have a website that explains what it is to end
users. As long as end-users are asked to sign-in with "OpenID", and
the first google result for OpenID is openid.net, then openid.net
should expect its primary audience will be end-users (once it becomes
truly popular).

> Right now, I’m simply not all that concerned about end-users not
> understanding openid.net – it was never intended for them, any more
> than RFC 2616 was intended for users of the web. I think openid RPs
> and OPs need to describe to their own users what the experience is
> going to be at *their site* - the bottom line is that the user
> experience for each RP & OP can vary quite a bit – compare, for
> example, the user experience on Jyte vs. the user experience on
> Technorati.

As soon as websites say "Sign-in with OpenID", then the OpenID name
is meant for end-users. If all the websites said, "You must visit
this using RFC 2616" then a website about RFC 2616 should expect
primarily end-users should it be popular.

So rather than digging through the marketing list, I don't suppose
someone can just clarify whether OpenID shall still be presented to
users as a "Login with OpenID" type text? If so, then unless we're
assuming there's more OpenID developers than end-users, we should
assume end-users will be the primary audience of openid.net; which
means that the critique about openid.net not having useful
information for users is spot-on.

> So, coming around to the topic, I think it would be useful for the
> user’s perspective to put together a good presentation/document/
> wiki page(s) on user-centric identity (as opposed to a multitude of
> username/passwords) and how OpenID fits into this space – I’m sure
> there’s something good out there to start with (or just use)?

I think Tom's document is so far excellent, but I really think it
needs a list of some OpenID providers for the users who don't want to
have to do a bunch of Google searching just to sign-in. And as long
as we ask people to sign-in with OpenID, openid.net needs to be ready
for what the majority of the traffic will be.... end-users.

Cheers,
Ben