[OpenID] cryptographics web of trust

Steven Livingstone weblivz at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 9 18:15:35 UTC 2007

Very cool.

I did some work in encrypting FOAF files a few years back (well, hacked something together in a few hours).
http://www.ecademy.com/node.php?id=4568

I checked and it is still there:
http://livz.org/encrypt/PrivateFoaf.aspxWith the FOAF URL :
http://www.ecademy.com/module.php?mod=network&op=foafrdf&uid=21584
and searching for the name "Robert Sullivan" and a password "steven", you get my decrypted FOAF file.

The limiting part of it all (to make it really easy) was the fact you needed an identity "Robert Sullivan" and a shared secret  "steven" - this is why OpenID is so powerful. With an authenticated OpenID, you would be able to decrypt the FOAF file automatically.
I figured at the time that some online identity (which didn't really exist) could easily be mapped to a corresponding public key, allowing you to encrypt parts of your FOAF files (or any other file) for specific users.

I hadn't spent too much time on it but i'd sure like to see it move forward in some way.

I know there has been other work put into this stuff as well:
http://usefulinc.com/foaf/encryptingFoafFiles

steven
http://livz.org