[OpenID] OpenID providers - return to urls

tom calthrop tom at barnraiser.org
Wed Aug 8 09:01:17 UTC 2007

Hi All,

We are looking to smooth out the process of going from a consumer to a
provider, registering and returning. Our issue is that people arrive at
our consumer without an OpenID, we direct them to get one, then they
forget how to get back to the original point where they needed the OpenID.

Ideally (perfect world scenario) providers could agree on a way to
facilitate this easily. Some work flow as an example...

   1. I go to http://openid.barnraiser.net/ (a consumer)
   2. I see a list of possible providers which includes myOpenID which I
      choose.
   3. I click the link which takes me to
      https://www.myopenid.com/signup?return_url=<url_encoded-http://openid.barnraiser.net/>
   4. I sign up as "tommy".
   5. Once signed up I see a "return to http://openid.barnraiser.net/
      with your OpenID button which I press.
   6. I get redirected to
      http://openid.barnraiser.net/?openid=<url_encoded-http//:tommy.myopenid.com
   7. The person then sees a pre-filled OpenID form field and presses
      "connect".

Any consensus here between providers?

tom