[OpenID] Attribute Exchange

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Mon Aug 6 15:19:51 UTC 2007

As your ruby consumer for OpendID.2.0 (draft11) will presumably already be handling the XML stream obtained using the YADIS Protocol (an HTTP header, plus some profile rules on following signals), how hard would it be for the rails engine to have a support class parse  a fragment of henry's FOAF file (in its XML serialization form), if we assume its present in the AX response rather than today's set of AX attributes?

I.E. Rather than invent a type system for AX attributes, we just borrow, -- as Mark Wahl was suggesting earlier. Anything is better than just treating everything as an opaque string, dumping the typing problem on the backend website.

Im going to try this today, with an existing open-source SAML2-enabled  HTTP proxy implemented using Ruby on Rails. I can simply define a complex SAML attribute, and have my SAML.create engine associated with the HTTP client first pull the XML-serialized form of the FOAF file. If I use the artifact-binding of SAML, https will "sign" the SAML blob, emulating how an OpenID-association uses bearer-security to "sign" an AX response.

So, that begs the next question: just as many relational database managers used in the Rails world can now have a SQL query natively serialize their tables as XML, is there one that can render its tables in RDF/XML, instead?