[OpenID] openid and acl's

Story Henry henry.story at bblfish.net
Sat Aug 4 06:40:04 UTC 2007

On 3 Aug 2007, at 19:59, Joseph Holsten wrote:
> Scott Kveton wrote:
>>> Anyone discussed the idea of using OpenID as a basis for a
>>> distributed ACL's
>>> system?
> One thing that's important about ACLs is grouping. You wouldn't acces
> a firewall that requires you to type in every single IP address. You
> wouldn't use windows permissions where you needed to specify every
> user's access.
>
> Has someone proposed a wildcard scheme or group identifier via OpenID,
> because that would be awesome.

In "A Foaf File for Sun" [1] I argue that the Authorization service
can be thought of as a group identifier. The Authorization service is
a group membership verifier.

This can be used to give people access to different parts of the web
using RDF. An example I give is how this could be used to make access
to the W3C just a question sending someone Sun's foaf file.

Henry

[1] http://blogs.sun.com/bblfish/entry/a_foaf_file_for_sun