[OpenID] On OpenID 2.0

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 18:29:56 UTC 2007

Indeed the webwide momentum seems to be around 1.1 which does the
basics of what is needed, and little more.

Adoption so far has rested, I believe, on this simplicity and
straightforwardness. Most folks with whom I've spoken about OpenID
take a look at the 1.1 spec and are eager to implement it. Those whom
I've asked about 2.0 run away, arms flailing.

If the goal is to get to a protocol for uniform authentication, we are
essentially there -- and as the 2.0 spec languishes, the number of 1.1
implementations continue to grow and calcify. To take a sharp turn now
towards 2.0 could aversely affect the momentum we've built up if it
encumbers those early implementors.

Which is to say: now that we have a number of adoptions in the wild
and a lot of positive support with the basic 1.1 spec, shouldn't we
look at the existing implementations as a validation of the original
spec and simultaneously a place to draw wider insight as to what, if
any, changes are needed for a 1.2 release? My concern is that a lot of
smart folks have worked on 2.0 for some time without the benefit of
widespread adoption to learn from. Now that we do have a great deal of
material to consider, shouldn't we spend some time better
understanding the current OpenID landscape and then embark on a
quarterly dot-release schedule?

Just thinking out loud.

Chris