[OpenID] Anti-OpenID Campaign in Germany

Thomas Huhn thomas.huhn at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 11:51:33 UTC 2007

As a native german speaker I was already thinking about to post this
anti-campaign (started on April 8th, I think) on the general list, but I did
not think it was worth giving this private person too much attention
worldwide.
So I decided to handle this on a national basis in my blog
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fopenidgermany.de%2F2007%2F04%2F09%2Fopenid-nein-danke%2F&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

The result was that the guy who started this campaign asked me to delete his
name out of my posting. So in my opinion he´s not even standing behind what
he says.

Another guy who´s job it is to fight against all kinds of datamining posted
a comment. I commented on this and it was all quiet after that.

So what can we expect from that? Not much. The badge against OpenID can only
be found on the websites of these two guys until now.

What´s more serious is that the same topic (same guy) was discussed on a
blogger conference (re:publica) and what came out was really a bad press in
a well known professional newspaper:
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.netzeitung.de%2Finternet%2F612317.html&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

There is still no good understanding what OpenID is all about and before
jumping on something new the big german media companies always tend to
reject new developments.
And as we only have a very low number of blogs and readers of blogs it´s
hard to get this fixed. As Lukas already said: the german market is somewhat
special, even if people are protected by one of the most restrictive privacy
laws worldwide.

Cheers from sunny germany :),
Thomas

--