[OpenID] Identity workshop to cover OpenID

Kaliya * identitywoman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 20:06:48 UTC 2007

OpenIDers,

Here is the invitation to the Internet Identity Workshop. In case it wasn't
obvious OpenID will be one of several main topics covered. It would be great
to have some folks from this list there.

 We do are best to make it inclusive, fun, affordable and one of the best
value for the money conferences there is.  The best part is anyone who comes
can be a 'speaker.'

Smiles
=Kaliya

Internet Identity Workshop (IIW)
May 14-16, 2007
Computer History Museum, Mountainview CA.
http://iiw.windley.com/wiki/Workshop_2007

In Europe there is a similar event that I am facilitating as well.
Identity Open Space April 26-27 in Brussels.
http://ios.windley.com/wiki/IOSBrussels

The Interenet Identity Workshop is about moving user-centric identity ideas
and technologies forward. Come to this event to learn more, participate in
the community and shape the future of the web.

What is User-Centric Identity?
User-centric identity starts with the individual, and his or her needs. It
is about working relationships and services between individuals and
retailers, employers, membership bodies, and organizations of any kind. It
is not about a centralized solution, or anybody's silo. As such it solves
different problems than the familiar ones of providing authentication and
authorization services within a single organization, or federation between
different organizations.

What is going on in the field?
OpenID is emerging as a protocol for SSO across the web.
    * It has major adoptions from sites like AOL, Digg, FaceBook, and
    * open source platforms like MediaWiki, WordPress, Drupal, Joomla using
it,
    * startups are forming around this emerging field like NetMesh, Sxip,
and JanRain,
    * and reputation services are emerging like Opinity and Jyte.

Legal and Social issues about norms and uses of identity continue to
surface.
    * How can I share my information and know it will not be misused?
    * How can we innovate better End User License Agreements?
    * How do young people, men, women and diverse groups understand and
represent identity differently online?
    * How do online and offline identity relate?
    * How does 'official identity' and 'web constructed identities' relate?
    * What is the role of anonymity and pseudonimity  and how are they
explicitly supported in this ecology?

How can Civil Society Organizations leverage the emerging Identity Layer to
connect organizations and constituents?

What about Mobile Devices and Identity?

Vendor Relationship Management as an potential market segment is emerging.

How do social media services fit relate to identity tools? What about
Tagging? RDF?

Microsoft Cardspace has been released on to Vista and XP desktops and
Symantec has a user-centric Identity management product for the desktop.

Liberty protcols continue to be deployed in enterprise and on the web.

There are several Open Source efforts to weave tools together - like
Higgins, OSIS, Bandit.

Who is going to be there?
User-centric identity is an extremely active and growing conversation
involving many converging development efforts — by open source communities,
by vendors large and small, and by customers of all sizes. Internet Identity
Workshops are where Mozilla, Symantec Microsoft, IBM, Novell, Liberty
Alliance, WS*, Verisign, Red Hat, SixApart, Kintera, Sxip, Cordance,
NetMesh, JanRain and many other projects and companies meet to work toward
common goals and real solutions. They are joined by customers of all sizes
as well.

You won't find a higher ratio anywhere of real productivity to idle chat and
marketing BS that are typical to many conferences. They are informal and
purpose-driven. In every IIW so far, a high degree of progress has been
made, within and between separate development efforts.

The workshops are organized by a working group within Identity Commons [
http://wiki.idcommons.net/ ], and are run on Open Space practices and
principles. There are no formal presentations, no keynotes, no panels.
Instead, topics are vetted and chosen by participants when the workshop
convenes, and open meetings are organized and scheduled for the day that
follows.

Still wondering if it will be good or not? Read what folks said about the
May 2006 conference.

Cost:
We are committed to keeping this conference open and accessible. If you want
to come we want you there. If cost is an issue please contact us and we can
discuss how to make it work.

* Students - 50
* Independents - 175
* Corporate - 300

The fees are used to cover the cost of the venue, organization, snacks and
lunch both days. We encourage you to pre-register since we will limit
attendance at the event to 200 people. The IIW workshop in December was
strongly attended and we expect strong interest in this one as well.

If you would like to sponsor the event please contact us.

If you would like to speak at the event sign up to come…anyone can.