[OpenID] How can adopt the openid in mobile web envirionment

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Mon Apr 9 10:27:33 UTC 2007

JoonHyun Bae wrote:

> 1. I am investigating the SiteSEER and Google scholar
>    for finding the papers on OpenID or web user authentication.
>    But I can't find any paper. I think it is because I am not a good
> searcher. :-(
>    Please help me to find the references on the papers related to OpenId.

OpenID didn't come from academia, so there aren't any papers of the kind
you'd find via services like Google Scholar.

The specification documents are available on the OpenID.net website:
     <http://openid.net/specs.bml>

The current authentication specification is OpenID Authentication 1.1:
     <http://openid.net/specs/openid-authentication-1_1.html>

You may also find it useful to read the OpenID Authentication 2.0
specification, although that is not yet finished and may change before
it is complete.

> 2.  I mean mobile web including WAP browser and WML pages.
>   My suggestion is about building the architecture for mobile web
> authentication
>   with OpenID, without changing the existing standards, browsers, and
> services.
>   In OpenID's point of view, mobile web(WAP) is the same, isn't it?

I don't see any reason why OpenID would not work in a WAP browser. As
long as the OpenID Provider is able to provide its user interface as WAP
pages rather than HTML pages the rest should still work, although there
may be problems with the length of URLs used when redirecting on some
devices.

I'd be interested to hear your experiences with making use of OpenID on
limited mobile devices. Please post on the mailing list about any
problems or successes you have, since this is an area which I don't
think many people have tried OpenID so far.