[OpenID] use of net.openid vs com.sxip for Java libraries

David Fuelling sappenin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 23:28:49 UTC 2007

+1 to using net.openid (in some form or fashion) in the package name.  As
you say, it conveys that this is a community project that everyone can
participate in and use.  Maybe to prevent collisions, the openid4java code
should sit in 'net.openid.sxip' or 'net.openid.openid4java' package...?

Down the road, it might be appropriate for the community to define a Java
API in the net.openid namespace, then allow other implementations in
whatever namespace a particular project chooses.  So, the OpenId API might
sit in 'net.openid', whereas an implementation might sit it
'net.openid.sxip', or 'org.sxip...', or whatever.

Many Java API's function this way -- for example, JSF is defined in the
javax.faces package (the API that conforming implementations code to),
whereas a concrete implementation such as Apache's MyFaces sits in the
org.apache.myfaces package, but implements the javax.faces API.

david