[OpenID board] June 6, 2016 OpenID Board Meeting Minutes

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Tue Jun 28 01:12:46 UTC 2016

June 6, 2016 OpenID Board Meeting Minutes

Present:
Don Thibeau, Executive Director
Mike Jones
Nat Sakimura
George Fletcher
Brian Berliner
Adam Dawes
Debbie Bucci
Junichi Tabuchi
Lydia Varmazis
John Bradley

Present on the Phone:
Dale Olds

Absent:
Prateek Mishra
Pamela Dingle
Tony Nadalin
Bjorn Hjelm

Visitors:
Tom Smedinghoff, Locke Lord LLP (on the phone)
Mike Leszcz, OIDF
Takao Kojima, KDDI
Harunobu Agematsu, KDDI

1.       KDDI Introduction
Junichi Tabuchi, chief identity architect of KDDI, gave a brief presentation on identity at KDDI.

2.       Liaison Update
The Financial API (FAPI) WG wants to establish a liaison relationship with ISO TC 68 - Financial Services.  The FAPI specifications will likely be submitted to ISO TC 68, when done.  The executive committee also recommends that we establish this relationship.  A motion to establish this liaison relationship passed unanimously.

Nat proposed that we establish a liaison relationship with the OECD ITAC committee.  This would give us early access to their documents.  Nat attends their meetings, so could represent us.  Internet partners of ITAC are listed at http://www.internetac.org/members.  A motion to establish this liaison relationship passed unanimously.

3.       Working Group Updates
The Financial API (FAPI) working group held its first meeting this morning.  John Bradley contributed Ping's Distributed Session Management proposal to the OpenID Connect working group.  Ping is also willing to contribute the underlying hash graph technology if there's interest in the working group.  Dick Hardt has sent a Fast Federation working group proposal to the Specifications Council for approval.

4.       ONC Challenge
The US Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) posted an implementation challenge pertaining to user-centric healthcare and the HEART specifications.  Debbie asked if we could make a blog post referencing the challenge.  The board was fine with that.  Don will work with Debbie on blog post text.

5.       Case Study Proposal
Nat and Phillippe Clement were talking about the possibility of an English-language case study about the France Connect deployment.  This could be the first of a series of case studies.  Other possible case studies include the Buenos Aires and Ireland deployments.  Google has built case studies about their smart lock for passwords deployments.  Mike pointed out that doing a series of case studies well would require both time and financial resources.  Lydia pointed out that these days, a few minutes of video would get us far more traction than a textual whitepaper.  The board requests that the marketing committee work on a plan for communicating case studies in the best way.

6.       Certification
OP certification continues apace.  We now have 90 profiles tested, with several new ones coming in in the last month.  The RP certification launch is waiting for there to be a sufficient number of RP libraries to be tested to adequately test the tests.  A team of Mike, John, George, Debbie, Lydia, and Don will work on defining the next certification contract particulars.

7.       Web Site Update
The new code has been updated.  Mike needs to do acceptance testing before we change over to it.  After that, we'll hand off new contract work to Nov Matake.  We will need to establish a contract with him.

8.       Amendment of Contribution Agreement
Nat proposed a few simplifications to the contribution agreement.  He proposed dropping the OpenID field and the need to counter-sign it.  Tom Smedinghoff suggested that we add the changes to the revised versions of the legal agreements that are already in process and under review.  Adam pointed out that reducing friction can actually result in contribution agreements that have not been properly legally vetted - such as individuals working for a company who are proposing to make contributions for their company who are not authorized to do so.

9.       oidf.org E-Mail Addresses for Board Members
Nat asked if we want to create oidf.org e-mail addresses for board members to use for official OpenID business.  Lydia said that she wants this to be optional since she wants to be representing PayPal.  Mike doesn't want another e-mail address.  It's fine for some to have who want it.

10.   Business Cards
Nat created a business card template for people to use if they want to.

11.   Financial Update
We are doing well, with a sustainable budget.  We have new memberships coming in both at the corporate and sustaining level.  We have a sustainable budget but any new large expenditures would require directed funding.