[OpenID board] January 10, 2013 OpenID Executive Committee Call Minutes

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Thu Feb 14 16:32:35 UTC 2013

January 10, 2013 OpenID Executive Committee Call Minutes

Present:
Don Thibeau, Executive Director
John Bradley
Mike Jones
Nat Sakimura
Kick Willemse
Eric Sachs

Visitors:
John Ehrig, Global Inventures

Absent:
(none)

1.      Web Sites Analysis Follow-Up
It was Don's sense that no specific action items or expenditures were apparent on the basis of the web site analysis presented on the previous executive committee call.

2.      January 22 London OIDF Meeting
We are finalizing the details for the January 22nd meeting in London.

3.      OIDF Membership Value
Kick had circulated a presentation about maximizing membership value.  Kick believes our membership structure is overly complex and could provide more value.  We have not yet adopted the updated membership fee structure that was circulated a few months ago.

Kick proposed specific possible membership benefits, including booths at summits, promotion on the OIDF web site and at meetings.  He also talked about the possibility of an "OpenID Connect Certified" program.

We are facing a "free rider" problem, where many are content to let the larger players bear most of the expenses.

The executive committee unanimously adopted the updated membership fee structure as circulated by John Ehrig before the previous in-person board meeting.  Kick will circulate his proposals to the full board.  Don will prepare a list of recommendations on increasing membership value for consideration by the full board at the initial board call.

4.      National and Regional Chapters Proposal
The executive committee recommends that the current board adopt the revised National Chapters proposal that was circulated to the board before the last in-person board meeting.  Don will schedule a call of the current board to do this soon.

5.      Trademark Recommendations from Scott Blackmer
Our lawyer Scott Blackmer sent us an analysis of possible steps we could/should take to protect the textual "OpenID" mark.  The US registration will expire in March.  The board agreed to renew the US mark.  We should discuss over e-mail whether to also seek registration in category IC 042, as W3C does.  Don will make recommendations.

6.      Tax Status Update
Our 501(c)(3) status application from the founding of the foundation 5 years ago has never been acted upon by the IRS.  If we are ever rejected, we may have to refile under a 501(c)(6) status.  Don proposed that we consider moving the application from the original legal firm of Ater Wynn to our current legal firm of Edwards Wildman.  Don will prepare a report on the possible expenses resulting from the different outcomes that may ensue.