[OpenID board] September 12, 2011 OpenID Board Meeting Minutes

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Mon Sep 19 23:51:22 UTC 2011

September 12, 2011 OpenID Board Meeting Minutes

Present:
Don Thibeau, Executive Director
Mike Jones
Allen Tom
Pamela Dingle
Eric Sachs
Nat Sakimura
John Bradley
Farhang Kassaei
Tony Nadalin
Nico Popp

Present by Telephone:
Brian Kissel

Absent:
Kick Willemse
Chris Messina
Raj Mata
Axel Nennker

Visitors:
John Ehrig, Global Inventures
Scott David, K&L Gates
David Recordon

1.       IPR Review

Scott David reported that the IPR policy does not require substantial changes.  The main message of the IPR review that he conducted is that we should ensure that we can mindfully extract the maximum value for the organization from our IPR activities.  For instance, we may want to run certification and licensing programs.  VMware, EMC, and Oracle are doing their on reviews of the OpenID Foundation IPR processes.  The specs do not currently include required legal notices; we plan to correct that.  Oracle asked where the license from the OIDF to others is; we will pursue making an explicit outbound license statement.  Nat asked whether we might want to use the Open Web Foundation language for outbound licensing.  Scott will produce a brief set of recommendations for the board to consider.

Tony asked how we are doing on executing on our IPR policies and procedures.  In part, we will make things better by closing the open but inactive working groups.  Based upon his experience with the AB list, Nat recommended that we do a quarterly audit of the membership of the working group lists to ensure that IPR agreements are in place.  Don took that action item.

2.       Legal Status of Account Chooser

Scott David wrote a contribution document for Google to use to contribute the account chooser IPR to the OIDF.  It is a standard contribution, while removing some of the conditionals and options that might be exercised for other contributions that make them conditional.

We discussed the possibility of transferring a mark that Google has registered for the account chooser.  Scott told us that Trademarks and certification marks must be legally distinct.  The board appointed a committee of Eric, Mike, Nat, and Scott to make a recommendation to the board.

3.       Status Check on OpenID Connect

We discussed the degree to which we want to market the specs once they reach Implementers Draft status.  At one endpoint, we just announce Implementers Drafts and ask for technical feedback.  At the other, we do a full court press launch.  There is money available for marketing and people willing to work on it.  One factor is that marketing could help increase membership.  Eric pointed out that, in some sense, the summits are already a form of marketing.  Eric and Don have an action item to identify members for a reinvigorated marketing committee.  The sense of the board is that the marketing committee will continue highlighting what is being done.

4.       Future OpenID Summits

We currently have a summit penciled in for the day before IIW.  We also are planning for a summit in Japan.  We believe that it would be useful to hold the pre-IIW summit to continue working on the Connect Specs.  We are looking into space for that event.

OIDF Japan has reserved space on December 1st in Akihabara (near Tokyo Station) for the OpenID Summit.  It was the sense of the board that this event should be promoted as an OpenID summit.