[OpenID board] September 6, 2011 OpenID Executive Committee Call Minutes

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Mon Sep 19 23:44:28 UTC 2011

September 6, 2011 OpenID Executive Committee Call Minutes

Present:
Nat Sakimura
Mike Jones
John Bradley
Nico Popp
Don Thibeau, Executive Director

Visitors:
Scott David, K&L Gates
Eric Sachs
Brian Kissel
Tony Nadalin

Absent:
Chris Messina

1.       Legal & IPR Update
Scott David updated us on possible legal issues related to OpenID Connect, such as possibly needing new work to have a trademark and licensing program around OpenID Connect.  Nat asked whether the OIDF will be making a non-assert itself.  Scott recommends that the IPR notice needs to be added to specs, per the IPR policy, and that the OIDF explicitly license specs for use by all.  Scott and Don will decide whether there are specific votes and discussions that should occur at the board meeting next week.

Oracle, VMware, and others have made suggestions, some of which will be included in a report at the board meeting.

2.       OpenID Summit
Mike updated the committee on the progress in the working group, including the ways in which we have been incorporating developer feedback, and the interop plans for the summit.

Tony asked whether the Account Chooser working group will be approved and the IPR issues settled before the summit.  Eric replied that the working group will be automatically approved on Monday unless the specs council votes it down before that.  The only special IPR issue outstanding is the possibility of Google giving ownership of a logo to the OIDF.  Otherwise, we will use the standard IPR agreements.  Scott David and Don are working with Google on assurances from Google to the OIDF and the community.

3.       Tiered Success Thresholds Defined at Last Board Meeting
Allen has been talking with the first tier organizations.  We are trying to have many of them be present at the summit.

4.       Budget
Don will present an overview of the budget next week, including how summits fit within the budget and how they are being funded.