[OpenID board] [board-private] OIDF ED Update: Agenda for upcoming OIDF board meeting

David Recordon recordond at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 17:39:20 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Dick Hardt <dick.hardt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dictating Technical Direction: Per the OIDF website: "The OIDF does not
> dictate the technical direction of OpenID; instead it will help enable and
> protect whatever is created by the community." Resolutions 2,5,6 and 7.3
> (mislabeled as 5.3) all are technical directions, which is inappropriate for
> the OIDF.

While I certainly pushed for establishing the organization in such a way
where the Board isn't influencing the technology, the Foundation clearly
isn't operating as we'd all like to see it. I believe a large pieces of this
is a lack of shared direction which is the responsibility of the Board to
establish. As for the specific details of resolutions 2, 5, 5, and 7.3 I see
them as following what is happening from the little technical activity
within the Foundation and surrounding organizations. To me, these
resolutions solely recognize what is already happening and become a clear
statement of "yes, that's what the Foundation should be focused on" rather
than setting a new direction.

> Committee Empowerment: I am uncomfortable with 12 & 13 as they: are board
> motions or actions that are in scope for existing committees:  provide broad
> powers for a committee to do specific actions with no fiscal accountability.
> We have already created committees for doing these actions and empowered
> them to decide what was needed to be done. By having this be a board level
> decision, we are undermining these committees. The board's responsibility
> would be to approve the budget for each of these committees, which likely
> would include these activities.

Similar to the previous resolutions, the only committee currently executing
is the Executive Committee. It's reasonable for the Board at this point to
pick up pieces which the Technology Committee has not followed through on.
Same goes for 13.1, 13.2, and 13.3 for the Adoption Committee.