[OpenID board] Why Connect?

Brian Kissel bkissel at janrain.com
Tue May 25 06:13:16 UTC 2010

Hi Dick,

I agree we should absolutely address the needs of a broad class of
internet identity needs, certainly well beyond Janrain's customers which
are a fraction of the 70M active websites today.  As I responded to
another message today, the approach I'd advocate should be extensible from
the simplest applications to some more complex and demanding ones.  We
should solicit direct input from the market (existing and prospective
RPs), and we should consider all reasonable approaches and technologies
that can meet those market needs.  I'm not advocating for or against
OpenID Connect, I am advocating getting more "voice of the customer" input
and trying to find an approach that can allow the broadest possible
adoption and usage of user managed identity, now and over time.  It would
be great if we could continue leverage the OpenID brand and OpenID
Foundation infrastructure to continue the great progress we've made so
far, even if the overall approach ends up including technologies beyond
just OpenID.

Thanks for posting your scenario, I hope RPs in particular will provide
specific feedback on that summary.

Cheers,

Brian

Brian Kissel
CEO - JanRain, Inc.
bkissel at janrain.com
Mobile: 503.342.2668 | Fax: 503.296.5502
519 SW 3rd Ave. Suite 600  Portland, OR 97204

Increase registrations, engage users, and grow your brand with RPX.  Learn
more at www.rpxnow.com