[OpenID board] Technical Committee Chairs

DeWitt Clinton dewitt at google.com
Thu May 20 14:40:33 UTC 2010

Sounds like this problem is relatively easy to resolve if there is a
consensus within the OIDF and the membership to pursue *both* Connect and
v.Next in parallel.  If so, the technical committee's role is simply to make
both happen, and we can trust the committee, regardless of the chairs, to do
that job well and without conflict.

In other words, if we agree on the goals, then I'm not worried about the
committees.  (Or rather, if we have to stress about the committees, then we
got the big picture parts wrong to begin with.)

So ... is there a consensus to do both v.Next and Connect?

My own hope is the answer is "yes!", as Connect is going to get built
somewhere by someone no matter what -- there is too much need for it and too
much momentum behind it for it not to happen.  If the OIDF helps make that
happen, then it could be called OpenID Connect.  If not, then it will be
called something else.  Seems pretty simple, really.

And I would love to see smart people, like Dick and others, thinking about
v.Next, and thinking about revisiting the stack for the future.

So I advocate yes to pursuing both paths in parallel.  But I'd love to hear
that from the OIDF leadership as well.

-DeWitt