[OpenID board] OIDF ED Update: OpenID.net Upgrade

Andy Powell andy.powell at eduserv.org.uk
Tue Aug 31 09:16:34 UTC 2010

Don,

(Sorry, slightly off-topic).

One 'adoption' question that I feel I should know the answer to but don't is the extent to which OpenID is being adopted 'behind the scenes' (particularly by the big players). Now it may be that I've taken my eye off the ball for a while and lost track of where/how OpenID is being adopted but I took a quick look at opened.net and wasn't sure it answered my questions in an easy way.

So, for example, the bottom of the openid.net home page gives a pretty impressive list of places in response to "who is using OpenID?". What it doesn't tell me is the level of adoption - are these services RPs, IdPs, both?

Also, when I chose to login via Google, Facebook, whatever... from a typical pull-down list (e.g. that offered by something like Janrain Engage)... is it ever using OpenID behind the scenes? If so, what proportion of the time?

The blog tends to give out lots of small pieces of information. I'm not sure how easy it is to get the big picture?

Andy

--
Andy Powell
Research Programme Director