[OpenID board] OIDF ED Mid Year Review: Trademark Update

Johannes Ernst jernst at netmesh.us
Fri Aug 20 20:26:29 UTC 2010

On Aug 17, 2010, at 14:53, Don Thibeau (OIDF ED) wrote:

> We plan to rely on our persuasion not our pocketbook.

As the original owner of the OpenID trademark registration in the US, I would like to encourage all others who have claims to OpenID marks in other jurisdictions to do the right thing and transfer them to the OpenID Foundation. After all, what might you want to accomplish with claiming you have a different kind of OpenID than the OpenID everybody else has? (That your's doesn't work with the rest perhaps? I'd fail to see how that would work for any purpose I can imagine ... ;-))

Also, I'm sure Don doesn't mean that "pocketbook" thing too strictly. I traded our OpenID trademark to the foundation for an honest full United States Dollar, and I'm sure Don is going to be willing to do a similar deal for you! ;-) You get to frame that dollar instead of a trademark registration, which is going to look at least as cool on your office wall!

C'mon guys, let's do it, it's overdue. Imagine how silly it'd be if some people claimed HTTP(R) in some jurisdictions, or even World Wide Web(R). Not much of a World Wide Web if it isn't world-wide ... nor much of an open id if it's not open for participation everywhere...

Cheers,