[OpenID board] Motion: allow use of OpenID trademark on Google Code (part 1 of 2)

Johannes Ernst jernst at netmesh.us
Sat May 30 03:57:36 UTC 2009

When the OIDF was started, we explicitly decided that the OIDF would
not maintain or endorse any particular code base.

While that decision can of course be overturned, I think the rationale
for it is as good today as it was back then -- we want OpenID
supporters to agree on the spec, and compete on implementations. In my
view, that is essential for encouraging the growth of a healthy,
innovative marketplace of both products and ideas.

There is nothing wrong in my for the foundation to encourage a vibrant
OpenID open source project. Declaring it to be "the one and only"
would be a big mistake, however. The naming that's proposed implies to
me exactly that and that is worrying to me.