[OpenID board] Fwd: [IDtbd] Rev 2.0 of Draft Bylaws and IPR Policy

David Recordon david at sixapart.com
Mon Mar 2 23:24:00 UTC 2009

Hi Nat,
since they were really involved in this discussion earlier as well.

--David

On Mar 1, 2009, at 10:57 AM, Nat Sakimura wrote:

> I would like to point out couple of things here.
>
> First, about the power structure.
>
> The IdTBD takes bicameral model.

Yes, I was first introduced to this model in the face to face meeting
late last year which you participated in. :)

> One is Leadership council, which consists of the leaders of the WGs.
> You do not have to be a paying member to be a participant of a WG, and
> thus you do not have to be a paying member to be a WG leader.
> Most things happens here and at WGs.
> In a sense, it is the House of Commons. Most power resides here.

I think that having this sort of Leadership Council makes sense in
being a way to better represent the Working Groups in a much more
formal manner.  I agree with what you said later that better
representing Working Groups and Committees formally within the OpenID
Foundation makes sense.  This however also means shifting more of our
Committees away from being run by Board members and instead a more
diverse set of community members.

> The other is the Board of Trustees. It is responsible for fiduciary
> requirement, such as keeping the book, legal compliance check,
> checking if all the IPR issues are sort out before the spec is submit
> to a Standard Setting Organization (SSO), staff oversight, negotiation
> with the relevant SSO when transfering the spec to it, etc. Everything
> apart from the staff hiring/payment etc., which is required by law to
> be private, are going to be transparent, so a company who voted for
> something that would not be popular among the community at large will
> pick up a bad reputation.

It makes sense to have people focus on what they're good at.  I
haven't been convinced that individuals appointed by companies are
better at managing these sorts of responsibilities than individuals
elected by a community or appointed by merit (such as by running a
working group).

> The board is not nearly as powerful as the OpenID Board. In a sense,
> the Board of Trustees is House of Lords.

This is where the model breaks down for me.  You've just said that the
Board of Trustees manages the:
  1) money
  2) record keeping
  3) legal matters
  4) staff hiring and oversight

To me, this seems like the Board of Trustees manages all of the pieces
that fundamentally build, maintain and run the organization.  As I
said in my earlier email, the Board of Trustees is made up of one
representative of each company that paid – what I assume to be given
Liberty's background – big bucks and two members of the Leadership
Council.  This means that the companies fundamentally control how the
organization spends money and where it spends it, what the staff are
instructed to do and what not to do and all of the legal documents and
policies of the organization.

Given this, I don't see how this organization will represent the views
of the community when a forever growing group of corporations are
making all of the "business decisions."  This is fundamentally
different from the OpenID Foundation where our bylaws stipulate that
our Board be made up of one more community elected member than
corporate members which maintains balance.

> Since the Leadership Council reflects the view of the entire
> community, not only the paying member unlike OIDF, it could be argued
> that it is a more democratic organization.

See above.

> The second point is the IPR agreements. As to the IPRs are concerned,
> there will be multiple IPR agreements. It is up to the WGs to pick one
> from the given list. If there is not one that satisfy your
> requirement, you can submit it to the IdTBD to be added to the list.
> What has been distributed is the Liberty Policy, which is the most
> relevant at this time since they are transitioning their existing
> working groups (TEGs and SIGs) to IdTBD. If your organization is to
> join and merge into IdTBD, your IPR agreements are also going to be
> added. Perhaps submitting an IPR agreement that you believe the best
> to IdTBD list would be a good practice. I think I am going to request
> CC licenses to be added to the list. Is there anything else that you
> want to submit?

I would recommend that they follow the work within the Open Web
Foundation and once I'm off a plane can send around a link.