[OpenID board] Fwd: [IDtbd] Rev 2.0 of Draft Bylaws and IPR Policy

Nat Sakimura sakimura at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 15:57:02 UTC 2009

I would like to point out couple of things here.

First, about the power structure.

The IdTBD takes bicameral model.

One is Leadership council, which consists of the leaders of the WGs.
You do not have to be a paying member to be a participant of a WG, and
thus you do not have to be a paying member to be a WG leader.
Most things happens here and at WGs.
In a sense, it is the House of Commons. Most power resides here.

The other is the Board of Trustees. It is responsible for fiduciary
requirement, such as keeping the book, legal compliance check,
checking if all the IPR issues are sort out before the spec is submit
to a Standard Setting Organization (SSO), staff oversight, negotiation
with the relevant SSO when transfering the spec to it, etc. Everything
apart from the staff hiring/payment etc., which is required by law to
be private, are going to be transparent, so a company who voted for
something that would not be popular among the community at large will
pick up a bad reputation.
The board is not nearly as powerful as the OpenID Board. In a sense,
the Board of Trustees is House of Lords.

Since the Leadership Council reflects the view of the entire
community, not only the paying member unlike OIDF, it could be argued
that it is a more democratic organization.

The second point is the IPR agreements. As to the IPRs are concerned,
there will be multiple IPR agreements. It is up to the WGs to pick one
from the given list. If there is not one that satisfy your
requirement, you can submit it to the IdTBD to be added to the list.
What has been distributed is the Liberty Policy, which is the most
relevant at this time since they are transitioning their existing
working groups (TEGs and SIGs) to IdTBD. If your organization is to
join and merge into IdTBD, your IPR agreements are also going to be
added. Perhaps submitting an IPR agreement that you believe the best
to IdTBD list would be a good practice. I think I am going to request
CC licenses to be added to the list. Is there anything else that you
want to submit?

=nat

Nat Sakimura (=nat)
http://www.sakimura.org/en/