[OpenID board] Getting Membership Management Under Control

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 18:59:53 UTC 2009

I'm certainly disappointed on Carsten's behalf as well.
It does appear that we not only have not built out the membership management
tools for the board (it's unclear whether this was ever prioritized or
provided resources for), nor have we articulated a clear and ongoing value
proposition to the membership.

That said, having first been on the outside as a critique of the foundation
and now being on the inside, I can attest to the meager human resources that
the foundation has at its disposal to correct these issues.

I am open to Eddy's point about large companies steam-rolling the
foundation, but am unclear what contributions smaller companies have
attempted to make that have been thwarted because of their participation. If
anything, the larger companies have validated the protocol in the
marketplace and driven a great deal of value for its adoption, though not
without creating a compromised situation with directed identity where big
brands are placed in priority against self-hosted OpenIDs.

Still, there is plenty of room for members of the community to step in and
organize the membership, either in the context of the foundation or in
general, with projects like SpreadOpenID, that are not directly controlled
or sponsored by the foundation.

Moreover, we have a marketing challenge where OpenID itself isn't a product
like Firefox that is easy to explain or to "show". Instead it requires
people take the time the understand the technology, what's good for and then
to spend resources implementing it, and so the adoption cycle is longer and
more involved.

Personally I'm hoping to work more on our overall marketing, communication
and web strategy this summer, but I'm just one person. Participation on the
mailing list is one thing, but going out and donating time and energy, which
is then surfaced to other members of the community is another.

None of this negates or excuses Carsten's poor customer experience, but it
is important to recognize that the board is comprised of volunteers and only
at the beginning of this year brought in Don to serve as the executive
director. It's been five months and the lack of solid infrastructure beneath
the foundation is still apparent, but progress is being made. I've had it on
my plate to do a "progress interview" with Don for the blog; I'll get
cracking on that today to at least better surface some of the things that
have been going on behind the scenes over the past couple months.

I hope (and expect!) that in the next few months we will continue to make
progress and hopefully correct the institutional problems that lead to
Carsten's experience in the first place.

Chris

Chris Messina
Open Web Advocate

Website: http://factoryjoe.com