[OpenID board] Motion: allow use of OpenID trademark on Google Code (part 1 of 2)

Johannes Ernst jernst at netmesh.us
Mon Jun 1 19:12:10 UTC 2009

On Jun 1, 2009, at 11:47, David Recordon wrote:
> No, Heraldry failed because the two companies responsible for the
> majority of OpenID implementations at the time didn't want to work
> within the ASF's process.

... and nobody else stepped up, so there were no commits. I think we
are saying the same thing here.

>  This is one of the reasons why community based open source
> development is important beyond just corporate backed development.
>
> I think Chris' proposal is sound, he has buy in from various library
> contributors, we have a way to let people like Mart continue
> developing on GitHub, and I'm not seeing a concrete alternative
> proposal with someone willing to lead it and make it happen like
> Chris is.  So I'm sorry, but can we please move forward?

The alternate proposal is to do exactly what Chris is saying but call
it something else than "OpenID". For lack of a better term, I propose
"Heraldry" ;-)  [I think you came up with that term?]

> If we believe that the best path forward is for Chris to first make http://openid.net/code
>  then lets do that, but I agree with him that an OpenID Google Code
> project is a demonstrable piece of forward momentum.  The wider
> developer community has expressed many times over that OpenID's
> libraries are not of the quality that they need to be and it is the
> Foundation's job to help fix that.

I'm not disagreeing about substance, only about naming.

On a related but independent note, I do want to understand what
specifically we have learned since Apache incubation that will make a
second run at this work this time.

Cheers,

Johannes Ernst
NetMesh Inc.